About Us

Thursday, October 07, 2010

NASA Homeschool Day


Yesterday, we went to visit the NASA spacecenter for their homeschool day.  I was so glad that Scott was able to take part of the day off to go with us.  The kids got a whole lot more out of it with his being there to point things out to them.  And I enjoyed being able to follow along and enjoy watching them soak in the information.




When we first arrived we thought we would be able to get the tickets for a discouted rate at the window.  However they informed us that had to be done online or we pay full price at the window.  I was glad I was able to call my parents who happened to be home to get their help with ordering the tickets online. All we needed was a confirmation number.


I was talking on the phone with my dad a lady came to us saying that their group had one unclaimed adult ticket and they wanted to give it to us.We thanked them and I told my dad make that one less adult ticket. Then right before I gave Dad our debit card information Scott waved tickets at me and I found out somebody gave us two unclaimed children's tickets from their group. I then had Dad redo the whole order and we only had to order two adult tickets. We went there expecting to spend $60 to $70 and wound up only having to pay $30. Our Lord is rich in blessings.





There were a lot of interesting things to see and do. There were some amazing Lego models of castles, knights, and even a dragon. Then we saw all the Rocket displays and lunar modules. We also watched a movie about the life of an astronaut. There were some scales that show your weight on different planets. I won't tell you my weight on Earth much less Jupiter. I think one of my favorite displays was of the inside of one of the space shuttles. It showed all the things they used to live on the shuttle.



We also got to go inside a small dome star display. It was kind of like a miniature planetarium. I think NASA should have a larger planetarium for people to see the stars. Scott and I weren't as impressed with the star presentation, since we had seen the bigger ones before.



We only lost Jonathan twice during the day. The first time he wondered off while we were looking at something he ran back to us scared and crying. I comforted him and told him he needed to stay with us. The second time he got lost Scott ran back to where we last saw him and found him smiling about it. I'm not sure whether I prefer him being scared of being lost or finding it funny. I guess I prefer him not getting lost to begin with.


We ended the trip allowing the kids to play in the play area. Then it was time to get Scott back to the school where he drives a school bus. Walking back to the car, I asked Jonathan which part he liked best, and he said, "I like the karate." I'm not sure which part he considers the karate part, but that was his opinion. I think the Movie might have been the rest of the kids favorite part. They listed several favorites.



Scott's and my favorite part was finding Jonathan and our least favorite was losing Jonathan. Although we both enjoyed seeing the displays. Next time we want to get back and take the Tram tour of NASA if we are able to go again.



Our week isn't over yet and that was just one of the many activities planned. I actually found out this morning by a church member who stopped by that there is one more activity on Saturday we would normally want to go to. Our local association meeting is Saturday, but again that is just one more thing we can't do at the same time as all of our other activities that are planned at the same time. I think things need to be planned in a more spread out manner but I guess we are the only ones involved with all these particular extracurricular activities.



I'll try to post more pictures tomorrow. If I don't get to then watch for them by Monday when I'll hopefully get to slow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment