About Us

Monday, November 05, 2012

A Not-So-Super Mom with Many Capes


"You're my hero!" the other mother said to me as we talked about our children. I'm not sure what exactly I did that made her say that. Perhaps it's because I'm a mother with 6 children. Maybe it's because I homeschool my children. I've been told this many times. One time was after I delivered my 11 lb. 4 oz baby. People would ask if I did that naturally. "Yes, I did. With no medication."

Then suddenly there goes that phrase, "You're my hero!"

I think they mean it like a child that proclaims Super Man as their hero. They want to be like him, fly like him. They want to be him. Why not? He's bullet proof.

I think some women just view me as a type of Super Mom. What exactly is a super mom?

I picture Super Mom as this amazing woman with everything figured out. She manages her time wisely. Her children are always neat and clean everywhere they go. She feels no pain. Potty training is a breeze. Her hair is always tidy. The dishes are always washed and put away neatly. She wakes up early. Her family eats three square home cooked meals a day. And...She is never late!

If that is a super mom then that's not me.

I sometimes choose to do the history lesson over dishes. Sometimes I cancel a homeschool day in order to have my kids help clean up a messy house. I pick and choose their activities and they don't always get a say in the matter. I haven't potty trained my 2 year old yet. I brush my hair while rushing the kids out to the car. I rarely look in the mirror. And...we're almost always late!

I don't feel like a super mom. Things get crazy for me too. I usually have a game plan in mind. Then nothing goes as planned.

For instance, the other day I decided to take a picture (above) for this post. I told the kids what I wanted. I found a spot. My daughter volunteered to take the picture. And then....the picture looks awful! I look like a tired, worn out mother with kids gone crazy all around me. What's so super about that?

I showed the picture to my husband. He understood. He knew what kind of picture I really wanted. "You're wanting a picture with a baby under one arm. The wind blowing at your cape. One arm is extended as you prepare to save the day."

He was right. I see that picture in my minds eye but it's not really me. It's rather crushing when you realize that you can't pull off that Super Mom look. Even if I let my husband help me get that "perfect" picture there would still be that one problem. That would still be the not-so-super me in it.

The truth of the matter is I'm just a normal mom with many capes trying to decide which one I need to put on right now.

What kind of capes do you wear?
Do you have a particular one that's your favorite?


Feel free to share in the comments below.

I'll be posting more about my various capes soon.

8 comments:

  1. I think your super. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Thanks, Dear! :-) Maybe I should have entitled it working-on-being-a-somewhat super mom. I guess that would have been a bit long though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it makes you feel any better Stac - you are not my hero :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great post! You are amazing, I need a nap just reading about your activities. Looking forward to seeing more capes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally relate. I have people say things like "You're better than I am. I could never homeschool my kids." I am like "really???" I am not better than anyone. We do what we can, try to do it well, and turn out decent, honest citizens. :) Have a great day Stacie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Jason, you're a mess.

    Thanks, Jennifer and Tina!
    We're all just normal moms doing our best.
    My next cape post is almost done. I should have it posted by tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's such a cute photo, kind of like "American Gothic." I only see 5 children though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Kathleen. My 12 year old daughter took the picture. :-) I was planning to have my husband take another one but at the time I was flustered at the results of this one. Until my post took on a whole different direction and I decided to use the picture after all. I'll be posting a picture with all of them crowding me soon. :-) I'm rarely not crowded around so that picture won't be hard to find.

    ReplyDelete