About Us

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Living Childhood Dreams

It's fun to ask a 4 or 5 year old what they want to do when they grow up. When Joshua was about 5 years old, he wanted to build robots. Ruth at that age wanted to be a princess. Hannah wanted to be a football playing mommy with milk.

Jonathan just turned 5 this month and he wants to be either a fireman or Captain America when he grows up.

I love the dreams young children have. The sky's the limit as to what they can do some day.

What happens as we grow up and face the real world? Whatever happened to dreaming great things?

When I was in fifth grade I was given an assignment to draw a life sized drawing of myself wearing the clothes of the profession I wanted to be. I'm sure the teacher had a good number of fire fighters and nurses. I drew a picture of me with a pencil and a name tag. The name tag said, "Anastacia Clark, Writter".
I'm not sure why, but my dream got lost in the shuffle of daily school life. I was complimented on my writing by English teachers but the closer to college I got the further that dream crept away.

I didn't consider it a worthy profession. I thought writing was just a hobby. In college, I should have taken journalism and writing courses. Instead I spent most of that year dropping courses I was good at in order to try to pass courses I was terrible at.

Then I married. My husband saw my writing and encouraged me to pursue it further. In fact he has always been my biggest supporter.

Now here I am. Living my childhood dream. I'm taking a writing course. A book is in the works. I have a domain name and soon I'll even have my own website. Since that day many years ago, I hadn't really imagined myself coming this far.

I want my children to live out their dreams. Even if their dreams change as they mature. I want to see them using their talents and reaching their goals. Maybe they won't wait until they are my age to just be starting at it. I want them to reach to the stars right now.

How about you? Do you have an unfulfilled childhood dream to reach for? What is it that's holding you back?

Feel free to share. Let's be kids again and reach for the stars together.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I think that it's great that you are pursuing your dreams! I think a lot of women feel that having children means that they have to set their dreams aside, which isn't the case at all! I even went back to school after having Little Man to get my CLEC certification. I'm excited to see your new website! :) I hope y'all have a very Happy Thanksgiving!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Hannah!
    I'm glad you were able to fulfill your dream too. It sure helps having supportive husbands.
    I've been following your blog and enjoy reading about your family. Hope you have a very merry Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete