About Us

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Blisters


Our family loves music. My kids each play instruments. We started them learning music a few years ago. I remember when I first gave them Ukulele lessons. At the time I thought it was a kid's instrument.

I remember telling my husband that I wanted a cheap ukulele just to use to teach the kids. I figured, once they learned to play I wouldn't be wanting to play it any more. I was wrong.

I loved playing that little ukulele more than the kids did. Their ukuleles were louder than mine. My husband, seeing that I really liked it, bought me another ukulele straight from Hawaii. I tell anyone that says they can't play an instrument that they should try the ukulele. There are only four strings and you have four fingers. You don't have to figure out what to do with the two extra strings you would have on a guitar. I remember when I first played it I had gotten a blister since I was new to the instrument.

The above picture was taken just about a week ago. That blister on my thumb is the result of not practicing. We went to a singing about a week ago at one of our local churches. It was a lot of fun, but I hadn't practiced my ukulele in a while. My husband was going to play his guitar, my oldest son was going to play the bass guitar, my oldest daughter was going to play her mandolin, and my youngest daughter was going to play one chord on the piano.

My husband had worked with the kids on their parts. They were all set to go. It was an easy key and I did practice a little. Well, I practiced it that morning with them right before we went. It's not hard to play the ukulele.

My husband said that it would sound really good if I could play a fast rhythm to compliment the rhythm Ruth would be playing on her mandolin. Not a problem. I'm pretty good at playing my ukulele fast. However without practice you don't have a good callous on the finger you use the most.

After our special the kids and I returned to our seats. My husband stayed with the other instrumentalists at the front, that play along with all the songs. My thumb was bothering me. I looked down and saw that I had a blister.

I couldn't play at all on Saturday. Then Sunday we were going to do a special for our fifth Sunday services. We were going to play the same song. I had to wear a Band-aid and still couldn't play it fast. It hurt through the band aid.

God gives us callouses for a reason. Now that the blister is gone, I'm very thankful for that thicker layer of skin that followed it. I try to practice everyday now. That way when my husband asks me, "Can you play this with us?" I'll be ready.

Bible Study is the same way. Without a daily walk with God and practice by studying our Bibles, would you be ready if someone asks you a question about God or His word. Will you have to say, "Um, you'll have to talk to my pastor about that." They may not go to your pastor. You may never even see them again. Will you have an answer for them?

What about the challenges that may come your way? Have you built up those Biblical callouses that will protect you from the enemy that wants to see you fall?


With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
(Psalm 119:10-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment