About Us

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Homeschool!

I've started the children on their homeschool lessons again. I gave them a short break over the summer, because of a lot of different events we had going. Now we are back at the grindstone. We set up fold-up tables for both of our older two children, and a smaller chair for the baby with a folding chair set up for a desk. She likes to be just like her brother and sister.

It is really neat having them all three sitting at their tables with Bibles open. I have each of the older two read a verse a piece. They are really doing well. Then we focus on any reading problems they might have had. Today I focused on "me" and "my" for my 6 year old. Then for both of them we worked on when the "c" makes a "s" sound, as in "voice", "face", "nice", etc...

The Bible makes a good reading book. It has lots of words for children to learn. I have them reading out of the King James, because if they can read from the king's English, they'll be able to read anything. It also helps their vocabulary. We're not shying away from big words either. I believe a child at 6 and 8 can read the word "righteous" and know what it means as well. Why not teach it to them? They may not remember the first time they learn it, but after some repitition, they'll be able to tell me exactly what it means.

So I'm excited as we start our 4th year of homeschooling, to see how much more they will learn. Believe it or not, there are a lot of subjects covered in the Bible. Reading, writing, math, history, and good citizenship are all covered there. I do use other resources besides the Bible, but I think the Bible makes a good foundation for any subject. Don't you?

2 Timothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

1 comment: