About Us

Friday, February 26, 2010

Toasted Toaster...


There are so many titles I could give this blog. But since Jonathan cooked my toaster this morning, I decided on this title. My guilty cook has a pretty serious face in the picture below. I actually took this picture of him right after I took the picture of the toaster. The toaster isn't in the exact same spot I found it, I had actually tampered with the evidence a little bit to see what the exact damage was.


This morning I got up and had some phone calls to make. After I got off the phone, I went to check on the kids and change Jonathan's diaper. As I was changing him, the central heat kicked on in our trailer. I asked the kids, do you smell toast? They all agreed. They said it smelled good and wanted toast for breakfast. I wasn't planning on making toast but I was curious what would cause the smell.


I had Joshua check inside the vent in the kitchen. One disadvantage to central heat in a trailer house is it's easy to get crumbs in the vent. I thought that was where the smell was coming from. But he didn't see anything cooking inside the vent. So we didn't worry about it.


After I got up from changing Jonathan, I decided it was time to fix some oatmeal for breakfast. I started the water boiling when I felt heat beside the stove where the toaster was. The levers weren't pushed down on the toaster, I had seen that earlier, but I realized that the griddle had been plugged in.
When I came out of my room, I had seen Jonathan doing something in the kitchen but nothing seemed amiss. I didn't realize he was tall enough to reach the plugs above our kitchen counter. I had placed the toaster on top of the griddle yesterday after making the kids some peanut butter toast before bed. Jonathan had seen the cords this morning while I was on the phone and decided they needed to be plugged in. He just forgot that he's not allowed to touch them.


I'm just glad I found it when I did. The bottom of the toaster was melted to the top of the griddle. Even the toaster's plug was scorched. We had a fire hazard on our hands, but thankfully I was able to unplug it before any real damage was done. I called and told Scott about it, and he just laughed. He said that Jonathan must have wanted to fix us breakfast. The only problem is your not suppose to toast the toaster. But that's okay, Scott never really liked our toaster anyway. This will just give him a good reason to get us a new one.

And the lesson I learned from this: Never underestimate the height and abilities of a two year old. As Scott told me on the phone, "Nothing's safe now!"

No comments:

Post a Comment