About Us

Monday, February 07, 2011

Mema and Daddy Jim: A Legacy of Commitment

I have learned so many lessons over the years and the one thing that I have truly learned from my grandparents is that " 'til death do us part" is a standing commitment.

My Grandfather came home on furlough 64 years ago and asked if there were any girls left and I am so thankful that his friends mentioned my grandmother, Charlcye Taylor.   

After they were married, my grandfather started going to church with my grandmother and gave his life to Christ soon accepting the call to the ministry.   My grandmother followed him with their three daughters to whatever church the Lord called them to.  She stayed with him and loved him "for richer or poorer..."
 I know they must have had some pretty hard times.  Who doesn't have the difficult days to go through.  I'm sure they even had rocky moments, what marriage doesn't?  But they stayed together through "good times and bad..."

They were committed in their marriage.  Then my grandmother had health problems.  She had to retire from her job at Texas Baptist Institute.  Then after a time of being in and out of the hospital she was able to be home to care for Daddy Jim, who also began having major health problems.  They were committed to each other "in sickness and in health."  

Have you noticed that they are still holding hands in these pictures?  Even when Daddy Jim was in the hospital bed they are still together.  Mema would stay with him in the hospital.  I know it wasn't comfortable for her to be there but she wanted to be there.  That's true commitment.

Then came the day, a little over a week ago, that Daddy Jim went home to be with the Lord.  And they kept their commitment for "as long as we both shall live."


This last picture is Mema and Daddy Jim's hands held over an open Bible.  Just like you would see in a wedding picture. 

I actually requested this picture to be taken a few years ago.  Because as a writer, I wanted a perfect illustration of marriage and how it's suppose to be. 

This is how marriage should look.  I love my Mema and Daddy Jim.  Thanks for the legacy of commitment.

2 comments: