About Us

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Happy Birthday


Scott and I eating out for our 14th anniversary
at the Olive Garden.

 We had such a busy weekend.  Friday night, we went Christmas Caroling.  Saturday morning, we had karate class.  Saturday afternoon, we sang at two nursing homes followed by dress rehearsal for the skit our youth were putting on for our church. 
Then Saturday night I stayed up late baking and decorating a birthday cake for Jesus. 

Sunday everything went well.  The kids did well with their skit.  Scott presented a short sermon after skit and then I presented the Birthday cake for Jesus. 

Monday was my birthday and I had scheduled to take Elijah to his Doctor's appointment and we planned to leave straight from his Doctor's appointment to go visit my parents.  It was so busy and it's easy to have my birthday forgotten.  Scott had taken the van into town that morning to fill it with gas and to get the van registered.


My Birthday Cake shows a true Texas Snow.
All it needs is some brown leaves mixed in with the snow.
He never told me, "Happy Birthday." I thought maybe he just forgot and would remember later on.  He finally got back home barely in time for me to load Elijah in the van and get to his Doctor's appointment.  He told me to go on and that he and the kids would finish packing and we could leave sometime after I got back with Elijah.   Elijah appointment went well.  I had to hold him while they drew a little blood to check his iron.  He did very well and the nurse seemed to be impressed that he did as well as he did. 

I then called Scott to let him know I was coming home.  He still never mentioned my birthday and sounded like he was in the middle of getting things together.  I felt a little sad driving home and thought how easy it would be to just forget my birthday myself. I had tried to pass it off thinking how I'm a grown up and don't have to do anything special but I thought it would be nice to at least be noticed on my birthday. 

I arrived home and saw Jonathan's face looking through the window.  As soon as I opened my car door he was yelling, "Hi, Mommy!"   I went up to the window and spoke with him and Hannah through the closed window.  Then I got Elijah and walked up the steps to our front door.  I opened the door and suddenly the kids and Scott hollerd, "SURPRISE!"    They had a Birthday cake and presents on my clean desk. (My desk is rarely clean.)  They had cleaned up the kitchen and the livingroom while I was gone.  I was speechless.  All I could say was, "Ah!  How sweet!"  

Scott said, "I bet you thought I forgot."  And he was right, I did.   I think this was the biggest time I've been surprised on my Birthday.  Anyone with a late December birthday can probably relate to how easy it is to get so busy that your Birthday gets hidden in the holiday rush.  I had resigned myself to another uneventful birthday, only to find it to be one of the best.  The kids all made cards for me. I'll post pictures of those cards at a later time.  

God has truly blessed me with a sweet, loving family. 


2 comments:

  1. Okay, that's a pretty nice birthday, but he could have left you an obscure facebook message as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL True. Maybe next year. :)

    ReplyDelete