About Us

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Best Friends


It's funny the phrases I don't even know I've coined until I hear my kids using them. When I was a child people would call out in a sing-song voice, "Sta-cie?" and I would respond in the same tone, "What-ee?"

I realized that I have never stopped that even in my adulthood. Now it's "Mom-my?" and I unthinkingly respond, "What-ee?"

You're probably thinking, "Huh, big deal."

But it's only truly funny when you hear, "Josh-ua?" and he responds "What-ee?"

Even Jonathan if you call his name out responds, "What-ee?" It's really funny.

Scott shook his as he heard this and said, "It's not a real word!"

I just smiled and said, "Well, I guess it is now."


March is right around the corner. I have about 8 more weeks before our baby is due to arrive. I had a doctor's appointment yesterday. I found out that I had passed my 3 hour glucose screening, so I have nothing to worry about there. Although I did worry a little the week or two I waited to find that out. My blood pressure is good, and the baby's heart beat is good.

I just found out yesterday that my brother and his wife are expecting their 5th child. I told my kids about it and they are all excited. Their response was, "Now Elijah, can have a best friend too!" :) They have each paired themselves up with one of their cousins as "best friends". Joshua is the oldest of our set of cousins, but he matched up with Caleb, since Ruth and Lilia are the same age. So Ruth and Lilia are "best" friends, Joshua and Caleb are "best" friends, Hannah considers herself "best" friends with Micah, and Jonathan (even though he doesn't remember Andrew at all since he was just a baby when they left for France) was automatically paired with Andrew as "best" friends. Now we are having Elijah and I think the kids are the happiest to have a new "best" friend for Elijah, even though Elijah and the other baby aren't even born yet.

The truth of the matter is that my kids are their own best friends. They have other friends but they don't consider the fact that they are actually best friends with each other. When I mentioned that fact to them before they looked at me like I was crazy. "Mom! We can't be best friends, we live in the same house!"

I can only smile to that. So I allow them to think that even though they rarely see their cousins except occasionally over Skype, that they are best friends with their cousins. They are so looking forward to when my brother and his family all come back to the U.S. for a visit. I picture them all being shy at first, but then warming up and playing like they used to do. I'm positive even Andrew and Jonathan will enjoy being "best" friends.

The above picture was taken sometime around May of 2007. Jonathan was born that November so he is the only cousin that is not in the picture. I plan to get another picture come April or May when my brother and his family visits. We'll finally have the "best friend" cousins together again to get another family picture. I want to get one with Elijah in it. They'll have to come back again sometime after their baby is born to get one with him/her in it. Either that or we'll have to plan a trip to France for that picture.

There is so much to look forward to this year. Last year was full of precious memories and now I am able to look forward to so many blessings ahead in 2010. God is so good!!!

"O give thanks unto the LORD; for [he is] good; for his mercy [endureth] for ever. "
(1 Chronicles 16:34; Psalm 106:1; 107:1; 118:1,29; 136:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment