About Us

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Memory Verses...

We, my family and I, have been setting some new goals for the upcoming months and year. The children and I have started working on memorizing a new verse everyday in homeschool. It is real neat how it has been getting easier and easier for them to memorize their verses. It's amazing how much their minds can retain. Some people may think that it would overload the mind to keep putting that much information in it. But it seems like the more we put into our minds, the more our minds seem to grow and the easier it is to remember.

The amazing part is I'm not just teaching the children just parts of verses, or even just verses. I am actually having them memorize whole Psalms and chapters. Right now we are memorizing Psalm 23. A few weeks ago, I had them memorize Psalm 117. They have that whole Psalm memorized. Of course, Psalm 117, is only 2 verses long, but they were happy about it. Last week, my son, Joshua, wanted to stand up at church and quote Psalm 117. So I told my husband and he announced a guest speaker and let Joshua come up and quote the Psalm. It was great hearing him quote it flawlessly.

We're not even using a "kids translation" that puts everything in simpler terms. I'm having them memorize it right out of the King James. I simply teach them new words and add them to their vocabulary. It's pretty amazing. We were talking about how many verses they could memorize and I told them that if they worked on it, they could even have the whole Bible memorized. That would be neat.

I also have them quoting their Bible verses before meals and before we pray at bedtime. This has been a good practice time for them. We'll first discuss which verse we are about to quote, and then after we quote the verse or verses, we have prayer. This has been real good. It gives them a chance to practice and then when they see their Dad after work, they are excited to share their verses with him. By the end of this week they will have the whole Psalm 23 memorized. Right now we know the first 4 verses and the sixth verse. Tomorrow, we will work on the fifth verse.

I also plan on trying to teach them some Hebrew. I'll need plenty of prayer on this one, since I'm still trying to learn it myself. But maybe as I'm teaching them, I'll learn more as well. I'll have to, in order to keep up with them. They learn things so quick. Who knows, one day they may start teaching me.

Psalm 117 "O praise the LORD, all ye nations: praise him, all ye people. For his merciful kindness is great toward us: and the truth of the LORD [endureth] for ever. Praise ye the LORD."

No comments:

Post a Comment